Born:  December 20, 1930

Died:  October 21, 2014

RURITAN INVOLVEMENT

Ruritan National

·         Served several terms as a National Director

Holland District

  • District Governor – 1965
  • District Lt. Governor – 1964

Carson Club

  • Member of the Carson Ruritan Club for over sixty years joining in July 1953.
  • Club Nickname: Captain Crow
  • President 1999, 2000
  • Vice President 1997, 1998

 COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT

  • Member of Carson United Methodist Church, where he spent his entire life supporting the mission of the church. He spent many years as District Lay Leader and District Steward on the Petersburg (now James River) District and supported many of the church’s initiatives, most notably United Methodist Family Services (UMFS).
  • First President of the Carson Fire Department in 1963
  • Member of the Dinwiddie County Electoral Board
  • He served as Chair of the Social Services Board of the State of Virginia as well as terms on the Department of Housing, Department of Forestry, State Compensation Board
  • John served on numerous State Boards and Commissions including service as the first banker ever appointed to the Treasury Board of the State of Virginia under Governor Allen.
  • Helped establish the Dinwiddie County Water Authority, and became one of its first and longest serving appointees.
  • Donated the land and building for the Carson Depot Library branch of the Appomattox Regional Library System in 1991 and helped fund its restoration as well as that of the Caboose that sits beside it. He also established an endowment for the Library System.
  • Served seventeen years on the Hospital Authority for what is now Southside Regional Medical Center, including several terms as Chair. He was a key part of the sale of the hospital and the resulting Cameron Foundation that is now one of the major sources of philanthropic donations into its service area.

Professional Experience

  • Ran his family farming operation, and then the family general store, P.B. Halligan Co. Inc.
  • Elected to the Board of The Bank of Southside Virginia in 1966; Chairman of the Board and CEO in 1977; President in 1983
  • Elected President of the Virginia Bankers Association in 1989
  • Served key positions in the American Bankers Association serving on the Community Bank Council and Government Relations Committee

EDUCATION

  • Graduate of Dinwiddie County High School
  • 1952 Graduate of Randolph-Macon College

[Sources: Obituary published in The Progress-Index from Oct. 24 to Oct. 25, 2014;  Membership Management System]