Mills Edwin Godwin, Jr. ~ 1950 Holland District Governor
Born: November 19, 1914
Died: January 30, 1999
- Ruritan National President – 1952
- During his year as President, a new record of expansion was set with 74 new clubs chartered and the second-best membership increase of 2325 in all Ruritan history.
- Ruritan National Vice President – 1951
- District Governor – 1950
- Zone Governor
- President – 1947
- Charter Member in September 1938
- Honorary Member at the time of his passing on January 30, 1999
- Oakland Christian Church
- Member and Deacon
- Member of the Executive Board of the Southern Convention of congregational Christian Churches
- Board of Trustees of Elon College
- Member of the Masonic bodies
- He had served as a special agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation after receiving his degree.
- Attorney in private practice in Suffolk
- Served in the Virginia House of Delegates from 1948-1952
- Served the Senate from 1952-1962
- Served as lieutenant governor from 1962-1966
- Served as Governor of Virginia from 1966-1970 as a Democrat
- Served as Governor of Virginia from 1974-1978 as a Republican
- As Governor he was instrumental in developing Virginia’s public resources including the community college system, transportation, parks and mental health facilities.
- He was called as “Virginia’s Education Governor” by Virginia Education Association.
- Public Schools of Nansemond County, Virginia
- College of William & Mary
- University of Virginia
[Source: The Ruritan Saga – A History of the First Fifty Years of Ruritan by Robert H. Bailey, Russell Burgess & H.M. (Kit) Shaver, Jr. © 1983; Wikipedia; Find A Grave Memorial 5667721]